Why are so many people excited about installing solar panels on their home? What's the big deal? Some food for thought:
- Bye-bye electric bill.
- A well designed solar energy system can reduce your electric bill by 50% or more. In some months, you may even see your bill hit $0 -- or lower! (No, we re not kidding.)
- Solar power costs less than ever. Over the last six years solar panel prices have dropped by almost 80%.
- The cost of installing a solar energy system has come down considerably. As a result, it makes good financial sense for more people than ever before. In many States solar electricity beats utility bills.
- Solar panels are better than ever. They are robust, can take a beating, and still deliver year after year.
- At the same time that solar costs have come down, solar panels have become more efficient (high-end efficiencies in the market are running up to 22%). This means you can get more power from each solar panel.
- Sell power back to the utility. If your new solar panels produce more electricity than you use in a given month, in many states your utility will issue credit for this power on your next bill (called net metering or NEM).
- Solar panels are warrantied for 25 years.Homeowners rest easy knowing that their new solar panels will deliver reliable, long-term savings. Most good high quality solar panels are UL listed.
- Solar panels add value to your home. A solar home sells at a premium compared to a non-solar home.
Hint: it has to do with the photoelectric effect and ejected electrons. An explanation on how sunlight is converted into electricity.
Video from the US Deartment of Energy explaining the basics of solar electric energy, and how a solar panel works. Easy to understand and straight forward.